Missouri Bar Exam

Missouri Bar Examiners

Missouri Board of Law Examiners
P.O. Box 104236
Jefferson City, MO 65110-4236
(573) 751-9814

Bar Exam Format

The Missouri law examiners use the Uniform Bar Exam (“UBE”).

Day 1

The first day has two MPT questions in the three-hour morning session and six MEE questions in the three-hour afternoon session.

Day 2

The second day has one three-hour session of one hundred MBE questions in the morning and another three-hour session of one hundred MBE questions in the afternoon.


You may obtain admission to the Missouri Bar without examination (i.e., “Admission”), on motion, when you fulfill many requirements, which include having an active law license from another United States jurisdiction that allows for mutuality of admission without examination.  You may obtain Admission if: 1) you scored at least 260 on the UBE in another jurisdiction within 24 months before you applied for Admission; and 2) you have the required legal education.


The Missouri bar exam may test these subjects:

  • Agency;
  • Article 9 of the U.C.C. – Secured Transactions;
  • Conflict of Laws;
  • Constitutional Law;
  • Contracts (including Article 2 of the U.C.C. – Sales);
  • Corporations;
  • Criminal Law (including Criminal Procedure);
  • Decedents’ Estates;
  • Evidence Law;
  • Family Law;
  • Federal Civil Procedure;
  • Limited Liability Companies;
  • Partnerships;
  • Real Property;
  • Torts; and
  • Trusts and Future Interests.

Bar Exam Dates

The Missouri bar exam is held in February and July. The exam is usually on the last Wednesday and prior Tuesday of each month.


  • February 27-28, 2024
  • July 30-31, 2024

Exam Results

The Missouri bar exam has an average grading/reporting period of seven weeks.  The Missouri law examiners will post online a list of the applicants who have both passed a Missouri bar exam and fulfilled every requirement for admission to the Missouri Bar.  The Missouri law examiners will post results to your online user account home page if you failed the Missouri bar exam.


An applicant must score 260 to pass the Missouri bar exam.  The Missouri Board of Law Examiners calculates the Missouri bar exam score by weighting the raw scores of the Multistate Performance Test (“MPT”) (weighted 20%) and the Multistate Essay Exam (“MEE”) (weighted 30%), scaling them to the Multistate Bar Exam (“MBE”), and adding their combined, scaled score to the MBE scaled score (weighted 50%).

Pass Rate/Stats

Of everyone taking the Missouri bar exam, 74% – 91% pass.  Of those taking the exam for the first time, 83% – 94% pass.  As for repeat-takers, 36% – 65% pass.